Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The End of an Era?  (Read 500 times)

MonsterMan

• View Profile
The End of an Era?
« on: May 10, 2017, 07:48:50 PM »
TeamSpeak. Oh what a time we've had together. There have been ups and downs but we've somehow both persevered.

Gentlemen, I'd like to propose a mercy killing. That's right. TeamSpeak.

I'd like to hear what people think about Discord as a replacement so that we can have a serious discussion about switching at some point.

I've messed around with it enough to have really grown a liking to it and it's feature releases are only getting better. There were once issues that would have prevented me from ever recommending it, but its really pretty fantastic now. It's come a long way from an end user perspective as well as administrative.

StallionFire

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • How You Doin?
    • View Profile
Re: The End of an Era?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 09:43:30 PM »
One big issue is that we can't host our own discord server.  you can have your own discord but its hosted by discord and they have full control.  You can't get full control of a discord server as of yet.

The other thing is that we have talked about getting TS3 on a non profit from The people at TS.  We can get two FREE 256 slot TS3 servers as a non profit community.  I spoke to Web about it and we may exercise the idea when its time to renew.

The other thing about discord is that it will eventually be full of ads and content you can buy for your own private discord.  That's how they will pay for it.

I don't' know all the in's and outs yet but so far its not a solid way to go.

TS3 is a more solid an proven platform and they are starting to add the same features as Discord to compete.  I bet you will see a new TS soon that is the same or better than discord.

That being said.  It could all change and discord may be a good choice but for now it has not evolved enough in my opinion.  The Biggy is that you cant host your own on a private server.

I have also read on some forums that if you get 25 to 35 people on a discord it starts to lag out.  Maybe they fixed that by now not sure.

Not sure if there is a way on discord to limit uploads and content that people may upload.  If there is no control over uploading content etc... then anyone can upload anything weather it be offensive or not.

Again, I'm not sure about that I will have to look.

EDIT:  Check out this comparison video.  -->   

discord is good for smaller communities.  Could change in the future.  Not as many settings as TS3.  Could also change.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 10:10:42 PM by StallionFire »

BumRush

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 03:16:20 PM »
I figured support for TS was done with.  That cool that it is not.  It used to be super solid for me.  I have a new problem pop up, that doesn't seem to get fixed ever, every few months.

My current list of problems:
sounds quality degrades till I have to restart
loss of hotkeys and whisper lists randomly
doesn't let my monitor sleep

The not letting my monitor sleep bit is really annoying.

I hope we switch or they fix things soon.

StallionFire

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • How You Doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 09:53:48 PM »
Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall TS3 to fix the issues ?

after uninstall delete all remaining TS3 directories and personal settings in your profile.

Reinstall and see if its fixed.

I have not had any of those issues.  Also you can visit the website and forums for TS3 and see if someone can answer your problem issues.

The way we have TS3 setup now with the privileges and so on for new members (visitors), DM members, Admins and Super Admin can't be set in discord as of yet.  Also, you cant' set privileges for file uploads etc. on discord.  I like the program but it has not evolved enough for us to set up the security we need in our size community.

I hope it does someday add more features, (security mainly), and then it will probably take over.  But then again TS may add more features and content so it may be hard to choose.  Especially when we can get it for free as a non profit community.

MonsterMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 11:00:22 PM »
Hey guys. Thank you for adding to the discussion.

I do (sadly) agree with you that it isn't quite there in terms of security and permissions for a large community but I too hope that it either advances to that point quickly or forces TeamSpeak to do a dramatic update. I think what it has is sufficient, but I realize it falls short of the options present in TeamSpeak on a few issues. I guess i like the simplicity of it.

I also have the odd bug(s) with TS3 and will probably try the nuke from space approach to see if it fixes some of my issues.

I have just had some very good experiences recently with Discord in some unrelated discussion groups and voip rooms that made me start to think "maybe this thing is finally to a point where it will usurp the current king.." I had also been wondering what the model would be for them to survive or how they ever intended to make money with it and the only solution I had come up with was advertising and maybe selling servers as well.

StallionFire

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • How You Doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 12:59:27 PM »
I have heard and read some things that Discord will also be selling content that you can decorate your own personal Discord with.  Things such as emoji's, wallpaper, special icons for rooms, fonts etc.....   micro transactions on small things that will make your Discord look cooler to help they pay for the hosting. 

I have also heard they will sell advertisement space (maybe on the boarders of your Discord). 

Thanks for posting this.  It is definitely something we should look at down the road if it evolves enough.

JackD3ath

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 08:03:34 PM »
We have been using discord for a while now, all are welcome...mainly started as backup, but it is better for instant message type stuff and free...

https://discord.gg/6fseFu

Custom emojis are available for subs of certain twitch streamers who have set up there discord to be integrated with twitch.  pretty fun, i sub to DrDisrespect and he has a sub only discord.  its neat to have a portal for dedicated fans.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:05:58 PM by JackD3ath »