Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows 10 for free  (Read 1250 times)

cRiNkLeStAr

• Arma 2&3 Admin
  • Informer
    • View Profile
Windows 10 for free
« on: May 15, 2015, 08:15:32 PM »
Microsoft is offering, or is going to offer Windows 10 to anyone with a legitimate copy of 7/8. Is this a good move?

Cannon Fodder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 for free
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 01:34:33 AM »
After my experience with 8 and 8.1 .... DOS or Mac System 5 would be God sent.  Note that Microsuck skipped Windows 9 entirely.

After several months of feeling stupid using 8 and 8.1.  I bought a 250g SSD ($99) and legal Windows 7 Pro ($59) 

I FEEL SMART NOW!

Cannon Fodder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 01:48:16 AM »
Star...I know that was not really an answer... My 25 cents worth research most places say that the interface of 10 will be more like 7 or xp. with 8 shit in the back round.  FREE is good and might be worth an experiment.

I think Microsuck is trying to pull  their head out of their ass..they screwed up royal with 8.

StallionFire

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • How You Doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 11:14:03 PM »
Microsoft is offering, or is going to offer Windows 10 to anyone with a legitimate copy of 7/8. Is this a good move?

there has also been mention that they will offer the free upgrade even if you don't have a legit copy of 7 or 8.

see this article.  http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873214/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-windows-7-and-8-users.html

See this video for Windows 10 changes.

Is this a good move?

Yes, in my opinion.  You get the best of both worlds.  If on a PC then you have the freedom to use the PC type apps and navigation.  If on a tablet, phone, Xbox or even a TV then you can use the apps and tiles to your advantage.

Seems like they have wrapped it up so you can use it on any device and taylor it to your own spec.  Lots more freedom.

Still in beta but we will see what the final product has to offer.  Looks very promising at the moment. 

The only thing I would hope for is if you could shut off the tiles and any other nonsense you don't want to run on the PC.  Other than that there are still some other tweaks to look at but for the most part is looks good.

DroolingMoron

• I am the Lord of morons, genuflect to my sillyness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 09:38:57 PM »
Technically, Windows 8.1 was Windows 9.

I tried the Windows 10 preview ISO... All I can say is: meh.
Nothing horrible about it, but nothing advantageous over 8.1 (for desktop use, at least)
IMHO, I will wait a few months after initial release, to see the reviews, as to how the final product behaves.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:41:31 PM by DroolingMoron »

Translator, for the sarcastically impaired.
Generally silly man.
"Pog Mo Thoin, if ye nae don a kilt"

Cannon Fodder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile