Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: New Desktop, finally  (Read 2096 times)

Skizioli

• View Profile
New Desktop, finally
« on: October 27, 2016, 05:36:43 PM »
So im beginning to compile my parts for a new desktop gamer.

For now the only for sure parts i want are

Looking for advice/suggestions on parts:

Looking for suggestions on a motherboard for the build
I do want to run atleast one SSD for my games, and a standard drive for data.
Not really looking to overclock for the time being, but in the future will also add a second video card

StallionFire

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • How You Doin?
    • View Profile
Re: New Desktop, finally
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 10:01:17 PM »
in my opinion I would go with an EVGA or MSI Video Card 1070 or 1080. EVGA power supplies are good and they cost less and better warranty and customer service.  EVGA or MSI motherboard to fit your CPU socket 1151.  Samsung EVO 500GB SSD and a 2TB Western Digital HD or whatever size you need for your storage drive.  Get a fan and heat sink for your CPU or a water cooler. your CPU does not come with a cooler.  16 or 32 GB of Ram DDR4 3000 MHz or better.

you don't really need a second video card if you get a 1070 or a 1080.  SLI is a waste of money in my opinion unless you have big reasons to do it or if you have an older card like a 760 and you wanted to SLI a second 760 to bring it up to par for less money. 

my two cents but you can do whatever you want.  I just feel this way from experience. 

Also, if you like surround sound, get a nice analog 7.1 headset and then use a good 7.1 sound card like a Creative labs or Asus. Both companies have good ones.  In my opinion I don't like USB sound or fake sound made by software.  True blue 7.1 analog is where its at.

Hope this helps out.

Skizioli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 10:48:29 AM »
Any reason you recommend evga or msi motherboards and video cards? I personally have always used asus or as rock boards, and video cards I really don't have a preference. Not trying to argue I'm just wondering if there are features that make those boards stand out. I was planning for 32gb of ram but don't want to get ram till I decide on a board.

The comparable evga power supply I saw was about the same price, and I've never really had an issue with corsair power supplies.

Also is there any one sound card you would recommend? I would like that 7.1 analog headset idea.

As for the second video card I don't plan to do it anytime soon, just toying with the idea of it.

Thanks stallion

StallionFire

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • How You Doin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 10:12:46 PM »
I like EVGA and MSI because of the support, easy do download software updates and warranty you get.  Also in the years I have been servicing and building equipment I have never had an MSI or EVGA Motherboard Fail personally but I have seen a few fail in the field but not many.  I have had one EVGA video card fail but under warranty my EVGA 8800 was Replaced with an EVGA 9800 GTX Plus.  Step up from what I had and to this day My Daughter still runs that card in her computer.  So I guess the part that really makes me stick to the EVGA and MSI products is the Warranty and also that there is a very tiny fail rate.  This goes for both motherboards and video cards.  EVGA and MSI are my go to brands.

I have owned ASUS Motherboards in the past and have also serviced customer PC's with ASUS products in them.  The fail rate is much higher on that brand.  However ASROCK is for some reason a better product than ASUS in my opinion.  I have not had any issues with ASROCK as of yet and I believe they are a good product.  In fact I built a few PC's with ASROCK and I even built one for my youngest son and he had no issues with it.  The onboard sound is a little flaky but other than that it was a pretty good board.  As far as ASUS video cards go I am not sure how good they are because I don't use them just because I have a sour taste in my mouth about the motherboards.  There may be others that read this post and think ASUS is the number one product out there.  I am just speaking from my own experiences with that product.

My two top picks for Motherboards are still EVGA and MSI.  If you are very tech savvy and like to overclock these boards are good but a GIGABYTE board is probably the board for a big over clocker.

ASUS Xonar is a good 7.1 audio card.  I have not owed one but there are others here at DM with them.  Remagify has one and he really likes it.  I have the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional  But sadly they don't sell it anymore. There are some Creative 7.1 cards out there but they are not as good as the ASUS Xonar.  Creative also makes a 5.1 version that is pretty good, soundblaster z or zx or zxr pro.

If you have owned and like ASUS motherboards then keep on buying them.  I personally have just had bad experience with that brand of motherboard and choose to stay away from them.  Just my opinion not a product fact.

However from what I hear and have read they make one of the best sound cards out there for 7.1 now as I stated earlier about the Xonar.

If you like corsair power supplies that's fine.  I don't really have an opinion over corsair.  I just have seen very cheap high quality EVGA power supplies.  I personally use Antec in a few of my computers and OCZ in some of my cheaper rigs.  I was just saying that for the price EVGA gives you a lot of product.  But if you matched the price on a Corsair then that's probably good enough.

I can talk to you on TS sometime if you want more info. on motherboards.  MSI is a really easy to config. board and has a great software to update all the drivers.  EVGA is outstanding for warranty and support and is also easy to config.  no automated driver software but there site has all the drivers you need plus utilities.

I almost forgot to mention a good 7.1 headset.  I use the Razor Tiamat 7.1 analog true 7.1 audio and I plug it in to my Creative fatality pro.  I use the mixer on the sound card software to true in the treble and bass and it is probably the best sound card and headset I have ever owned.  a bit pricy but worth the money. You can make presets for gaming, movies and music. 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153089&cm_re=Razer_Tiamat_7.1-_-26-153-089-_-Product

A lot of the reason for some of the bad reviews on that headset is because people don't know how to use or set them up.  If you just plug them in and keep the EQ flat it sucks.  you have to adjust the EQ so they sound like you want them to.  And you need a good sound card or they may not perform like they should.  Some onboard soundcards will make them sound like crap.  Its not the headset its the onboard sound lol....  so make sure to get a decent sound card if you are going to use 7.1 analog.  I'm old school when it comes to audio.  I like to set it up myself.  I don't like that automated USB Bull Crap.

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 10:27:28 PM by StallionFire »

Metalmechanic

• Motocross Admin
  • Informer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 03:23:08 PM »

Power supply wise i would go the Corsair one. I've had this HX1000 since I got my first I-7 6-7 years ago now. I have a Evga power supply and it works and everything, I've only really used it for testing when I was having problems, but it weights about 1/3 as much and none of the connectors really fit very tight.  Again, it works fine, but the Corsair seems to be a better built unit to me.  My 2 cents.

Good luck with the build.