Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: FreeNAS  (Read 2192 times)

YEN

• View Profile
FreeNAS
« on: May 03, 2014, 03:32:09 PM »
Okay, so I'm working on my FreeNAS box.  I'm using spare drives and am intending on using them as follows: 1) 160 GB "Backup," 2) 640 GB "TV," 3) 500 GB "MOVIES," and 4) 500 GB "AUDIO."  This is how I have other drives currently configured in my windows 7 Box main PC and I'd like to keep the NAS box similar.

I'll consider raid later and put some TB drives together.  I know I'll need double my 4 GB memory, but again I'll do that later.

Now I'm getting a little confused with "Owner (user)" and "Owner (group)." 

I've mounted the drives with ZFS and created 4 Striped Drives.  Next I created identical named Datasets.  I know that I need to create a share and again I'm confused.  My network has 4 PCs, 1 Smart TV, 2 PS3's, 1 Galaxy Note 3, 1 Galaxy S5, 1 Net Radio, and 2 printers.

All the PCs are Windows, of course, but I'm again confused about Type of ACL (Unix or Windows/Mac).  With the Non-PC devices, I know that Unix might be preferred, then later it says to set up a Windows CIFS.  Then, in another section, it says to create users in FreeNAS based on the log-in names on the computers, but at another point it talks about setting the permissions within windows (assumingly by creating a folder in the share, then assigning who can and who cannot access it via permissions in share).

I intend on setting this up as a PLEX server (currently my Main PC is acting as the plex server and doing a good job!).  Then I heard something about couch potato.  And I don't know what else after that.  I'm also considering adding Asterisk for my phone, fax, and create a PBX type of environment (I know that Asterisk will work under bds)

So, any advice would be appreciated.  I understand most of this stuff, but I really only have been involved in Windows system based shares, not actual server stuff and it is like they are speaking a language all their own that you had to be there from the beginning to understand it all...

StallionFire

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • How You Doin?
    • View Profile
Re: FreeNAS
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 06:45:43 PM »
owner (user) and owner (group).

The owner (user) is the user on your local PC.  so when you sign in you are signing in as user to your "PC NAME"

The owner (group) is the user on the network workgroup or domain.  So when you add your pc to "workgroup" sign in to you PC as owner you are on your pc in the group called "workgroup"  you have to set this up. Right click computer, click properties, advanced system settings, computer name, click the change button and put in the workgroup name.

If you make a domain on the server, then you would add the PC to the domain instead.  At log in you would log in as domain/owner instead of logging in to the local PC name.

Hope this did not confuse you.

Are you making a domain name on the NAS?  if so, you can have all your devices log in to that domain on the NAS.

You will need a static IP on the NAS, create the domain, then go to each PC, device, etc....  and add them to the domain as described above.  Same as workgroup but you will use the domain instead.

You will have to add each pc  with the administrator account on the NAS to allow the PC to connect to the domain.

If you have more questions or need different help, I can talk on TS3 if you wish.

Might be easier to explain that way.

I did not read the entire free NAS setup so I am speaking in general terms for windows networks.

YEN

• View Profile
Re: FreeNAS
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 07:19:30 PM »
Hmm... the owner (user) seems not right, but I could see the owner (group).  I'll keep at it.

BTW:  I found that if I make my own router, I can have ASTERISK as part of that PFSense.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 12:09:24 AM by YEN »